incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: automake insteed configure
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 18:41:28 GMT
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In the past, configure was only rebuild if needed by samone (releng?) in
> Hamburg. Now Mathias Bauer recommends to build configure.sh everytime and
> make automake to the default step by the buildprocess. I think this Step
> should be don ASAP.
> I think that's not a load of changes, but I have a question: "How to run
> automake, and where it is located" can sameone help me.

So we're diverging now from what is in the Building Guide.

How do we want to keep these in sync, so new developers have accurate
instructions for how to build?

I know we have information on the wiki.  But that gets out of synch
very quickly.  And if, in 6 months from now, someone needs to go back
and build AOOo 3.4.0 again, the instructions on the wiki will now be
different, and not good for the older build.

So how do we keep build instructions that are accurate and tied to a
revision of the project?

Wouldn't storing build instructions in SVN, in the source tree, help
here?  Then when a programmer changes the build, they don't need to
leave their editor or IDE.  They just update the build instructions
and commit it.

-Rob