incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [patch] Removal of Windows build requirement on unicows.dll - issue 88652
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:39:47 GMT
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I don't think the vendor support lifetime for a consumer OS has bring the
> end of application support on that OS.  What is known is that there will
> be further service packs, maybe not even OS security patches, but it isn't
> as if they decay and die.  Many machines run much longer than the support
> life of the OS, and upgrades may not be feasible.

The nice thing is a user of Windows 98 or 2000 can still download old
versions of OOo and run them.  And they can do that for free.  And
they always will be able to do this.

The question is not whether we retroactively support for older
versions of Windows.  They question is whether we maintain that
support going forward, in new releases of the product.