incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Diploma thesis: a survey about OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:51:02 GMT
The survey appears to be looking at two propositions

A) Whether OpenOffice.org members thought that there was a conflict of
interest between Oracle and OpenOffice.org

and

B) Whether LibreOffice members thought that there was a conflict of
interest between The Document Foundation and LibreOffice

Interesting that nothing is ever mentioned about potential conflicts
of interest with Novell/Suse/Attachmate and their ongoing interop
agreements with Microsoft, that has introduced things as Mono and
OOXML.  In other words, it is looking at one open source project and
its main corporate sponsor versus another open source project, while
ignoring its main corporate sponsor.

The more direct comparison would be OpenOffice.org/OOo Community
Council versus LO/TDF, or OpenOffice.org/Oracle versus LO/Novell.  In
other words compare governance or compare corporate sponsorship, but
don't mix the two.

-Rob