incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:52:00 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:45:31 -0400
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't think discussions about how the project is run is something
>> that we should be doing in private.  Discussing such matters, even if
>> strong opinions are raised, is the essence of transparency.  Remember,
>> controversial is not the same as confidential.  In Apache projects we
>> discuss non-confidential matters openly.
>
> As far as I recollect, the "private discussions" referred to were those concerned with
moderation decisions, which decisions were reviewed by the volunteers on a private channel
on the Forum.

Your information is incomplete then.  Earlier in the thread Terry said
that there were ongoing discussions in the private forum that
paralleled this discussion.  I assume you are aware of that thread?

> There are three private channels open to me on the http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
as a Volunteer - Delete Topics, which is a holding channel to permit undeleting of a posting
(held for three days), EN Forum issues and "Server - Site Governance".  In these two latter
channels suggestions or queries were channeled to Terry concerning code alteration and other
technical matters, and governance queries were raised, as, for example, review of suspicious
activity of a given poster, or reconsideration of the actions of a moderator. All other discussions
take place in public.