incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for September 2011 (ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org)
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:07:41 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Resource is energy, time, and skills I think.  And also, having the necessary authorizations
to work on the parts needing attention.

> It is probably an over-used term.
>
> Suggestions?

"Needing attention" is a curious phrase.

I think an Apache project has exactly the amount of effort it needs to
do the tasks that its volunteers are volunteering to do at any given
time.  Nothing external is mandating a plan or a set of tasks for us,
beyond a few administrative items, like preparing this report.   We
prioritize by our own efforts.  If right now, more people want to work
on merging CWS's into the SVN than migrate the wiki, then no one can
say that is wrong.  All you can do is say you have a different
priority and you can back that up by directing your own time, or by
recruiting additional help.

So I think it is incorrect to suggest that there is a gap between a
plan and effort. The idea of an "under-staffed plan" is an oxymoron.
If there is something that is not being done, that someone wants to
see done, they have three basic paths forward:

1) Do it themselves

2) Get others on the project excited about the task, so they think it
is interesting and fun to do it,

3) Recruit others from outside the project, with skills and interest.

A specific example.  You had "Cutover of mailing-list and
registration/forwarding systems is not resourced at all."

Is there anything that prevents someone from doing this if they have
the time and skills?  Does it require an exotic skill set that none of
us have or can develop?  Or is it just a case that this is just not
high on anyone's priority list right now?   I get the impression that
the latter is true. If so, the Board isn't going to help with that.

A while back I created a Help Wanted [1] page on the wiki, with ideas
that people could work on.  Maybe it would be worth updating that with
some additional areas that we think volunteers could contribute to.
Then we could have a blog post to make more people aware of how they
can help?  Would that work?

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

-Rob

sites and services under Apache OOo incubation.  Preservation of the Wiki is in doubt because
of resource and support limitations.   Cutover of mailing-list and registration/forwarding
systems is not resourced at all.  The ability to make anticipatory modifications of OpenOffice.org
in preparation for staging is also limited, with volunteer support and administration of the
live system possibly eroding.