incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Having New Committers also be on the PPMC
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:06:13 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2011, at 15:58, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>>> What is the actual current harm you are seeking to correct, Rob? I had assumed
this sort of lock-down would wait until graduation from the incubator once it was clear what
worked and what didn't.

>> Simon, I'm a PPMC member.  I try to avoid future harm, not just deal
>> with "actual current harm".  It is called oversight.
>
> My concern was that creating of closed rule-sets before actual problems present themselves
can also lead to inefficiency. The principle is sometimes called "YAGNI". I believe my question
was reasonable and polite and I would welcome a reply in the same tone.

I am not suggesting a "closed rule set".   I'm suggesting that we take
each decision on a case-by-case basis and evaluate the candidate
according to the possible roles that they might fit, and vote for the
role(s) that are most appropriate.  In some cases someone might become
a committer, but not (initially) a PPMC member.  In other cases they
might become both at once.  The decision should be made the PPMC, and
they should have the discretion to do this.

I think anyone who suggests removing this discretion from the PPMC and
forcing a stance of "one size fits all" is the one who is arguing for
a "closed rule set".