incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 05:18:17 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 14:28, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>> To help prioritize the list migration efforts, I've collected numbers
>>> from the legacy OOo lists.  Looking at 2011 posts, year to date, these
>>> are the average posts/day for the most-used lists.
>>>
>>  <snip>
>>
>> I've created an updated version of this list, looking at the time
>> period from Feb 2010 to the present.  That encompasses the releases
>> cycles for 3.2.1 and 3.3, as well as the 3.4 beta, so it should have a
>> fairer representation of all lists involved within a release cycle.
>>
>> I've put the top 100 lists on the wiki, in a table.  I'm hoping we can
>> map these to the equivalent Apache list or identify where additional
>> lists may be required.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists
>>
>> I've taken a first pass over a random selection of the lists.  Nothing
>> set in stone, but maybe it will provoke a discussion that helps us
>> understand this better.
>>
>> One question I have, after seeing the list, was what purpose was
>> served by the de.dev, fr.dev, fi,dev, etc.  Were these lists used
>> specifically for i10n related development, such as proofing tools,
>> number, date/time, currency formatting code, etc.? Or were these
>> general lists for discussions related to core development, held in the
>> developer's native language?
>

> IMO, documentation.dev can be mapped to ooo-dev. That list was used
> for policy and infrastructure discussions, which would fit well on
> ooo-dev.
>
> I would like to see user-faq.authors mapped to ooo-userdocs, for
> reasons stated earlier, so I shall endeavour to find several
> moderators and a core group of list members. The list certainly
> fulfills the criterion of discussion on the legacy OOo list.

Would it be worth generalizing this to a list that covers help,
documentation, training/tutorials,FAQ's, even support technology (as
opposed to support delivery)?  So something like ooo-user-services, or
ooo-infodev, or something like that?  If we really think that there
should be a better connection and sharing among these concerns,
getting them discussed on the same list might help encourage
cross-pollination.