incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:25:45 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 14:56 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > Of course not - why do you think folks would want that?

>> > Sure -

>> > Not necessarily - there is the a very granular rights system in play -
>> > not everyone with the moderator colors on their user name have the same
>> > access levels. Hagar has a higher level then most, if not all, of the
>> > other moderators for instance.

>> > So, it is very easy to setup a system where a 'standard' moderator can
>> > do x but not y - in this case can not actually ban a user - they see
>> > spam, they remove it, which automatically makes the post visible to
>> > admins and the admin's can handle the actual banning, if so warranted.
>> >

>> This is good to know.  That essentially creates super-moderators and
>> normal moderators.  Is there anything else like this?  I mean is there
>> a short list of permission sets like this, or is it really an eclectic
>> mix of permissions that have been assigned to individuals over time
>> and few moderators actually have the same identical permissions?
>
> no - normally this is all done at the group level - I gave you the one
> exception I know off (understand my memory can be faulty at times) -
> again when I say something is possible it is a mistake to believe this
> means it is being widely used, it only means that it is possible.

Thanks.

So would something like this work:

Site admins must be PPMC members,  appointed by PPMC, with actual site
admin assignment made by Infra.  In other words, only Infra has the
skeleton key.

Forum admins must be also be PPMC members, appointed  by PPMC. The
actual rights assignment could be done by a site admin, not involving
Infra?

Moderators/Volunteers selected by the forum participants:

1) According to written rules which are publicly posted and approved by the PPMC

2) Rules shall allow any PPMC member or Mentor to become a moderator
or admin on request

3) Changes to such rules require approval by the PPMC

4) No PPMC approval required for new modertors/volunteers

5) But no moderator has ban rights unless also a PPMC member

That avoids any PPMC review except for new Admins,  and for the
Admin/Moderator rules which your draft yourselves among the forum
volunteers