incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 18:16:15 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you really want to discuss a users behavior in public?
>> Wow, I really don't want to do that. I strongly believe that only a
>> few people would discuss another guys behavior in public.
>
> It happens.  In fact it happened here, on this list, yesterday.  There
> was some pretty excessive vitriol, open and in public.  And yet it
> seemed to work into more mature and rational discussion today.
>
> If behavior discussions are going to occur at all, it's probably
> better that they happen in public rather than there be the feeling of
> a secret faceless committee to which users can neither respond nor
> appeal.  The latter can lead to discontent.

Exactly.  And where do users go to complain about moderators?

I had one person contact me off list, not about the support forum
moderation specifically, but about moderation in another part of OOo.
He had concerns about heavy-handiness in moderation, of unpopular
views being booted.

We shouldn't hide our heads in the sand and pretend that everything at
OOo was perfect and that everyone got along, and everyone was happy.
This is not true. There were power centers within the project, there
was abuse and there was discontent.  LibreOffice didn't just happen on
a whim.

I think a jolt of transparency will do us much good.  We need to learn
to collaborate well with each other openly. We need to be moderate in
moderation.  If we think we need 30 private moderation forums and 30
moderators in order to do user support, then that is a warning sign
crying out that we're doing the wrong thing.

Like I asked before, if we had zero private moderator forums, what bad
thing would happen?  Why can we replace secret tribunals with open,
peer pressure and leadership by example?

-Rob