incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 17:16:31 GMT
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Interesting data.
>
> I think we should let the NL lists know about the English-language counterparts on i.a.o,
using the native language if possible, but I don't think we should regard our en lists as
substitutes.

Right.  I think we have two general approaches for NL lists:

1) A matrix of mailing lists, by language and function.  So
ooo-dev-fr, ooo-users-fr and eventually, ooo-doc-fr, ooo-translate-fr,
along with ooo-dev-jp, etc.  This matrix can be quite large and
partially explains why OOo ended up with over 300 lists.

2) Functionalist and NL lists but not matrixed.  So ooo-dev, ooo-doc,
ooo-private, etc. but then ooo-general-fr, ooo-general-de,
ooo-general-jp, etc.

The thing that recommends approach #2 is that we have seen how a
single list --- ooo-dev -- can handle 60 posts/day, so long as we are
sensitive to thread drift, using subject tags, not posting
unnecessarily, etc. So it should be possible to have the NL languages
on general lists without too much difficulty.  We're doing that in
English, right?

> The only safe way I know to do that would be to have a simple-English statement for all
of them and then prepend a native language equivalent to each one posted.  We can try Google
translator unless we have someone here who can do that better as an user of the native language.

> I also wouldn't post to any of those non-English lists until we can figure out whether
they have an administrator actually in attendance and posting won't create more problems than
it solves.

If we create language-specific general lists, that would solve the
problem right? The moderators of the general lists could be
responsible for contacting the relevant legacy OOo lists, and helping
them move over.  This could include sharing information on the other
project lists that are in English.