incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Forum integration
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:12:17 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 14:51:36 -0400
> Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> If anyone can explain better "Volunteers", that would be great.  Do
>> they have any extra rights?  Or is it just the case that some of what
>> Apache would call "contributors" are given the title "Volunteer" while
>> other, perhaps less active contributors are not given that title?
>
> Volunteers get a different colour code on the Forum User Name and a tag saying that they
are Volunteers.  In addition, they get read only access to the Delete thread so they can
monitor what is being held in the three day delete period, and read/write access to the Forum
issues and Governance threads so that they can raise questions which are visible to the other
Volunteers/Mods etc.  Because they have reached a "trusted" status, their opinions may receive
more weight with other Volunteers/Mods than those of the random User.

In your experience is it necessary to provide this title and reward in
order to retain these volunteers?  I mean, beside whatever
satisfaction they get from answering user questions (which I assume is
the primary reason they are there)?

The more typical thing at Apache is for anyone to be able to read and
comment things akin to "Forum issues and Governance threads".  Anyone
off the street can come in and comment on anything we do on the list.
They can even send notes to our private list.  I know this is not the
only way in the world such things can work, but it is the norm here.

Maybe to motivate it, consider this.  If someone is not a volunteer,
but is one quantum of merit less than that needed to be a "Volunteer",
and an important governance issue comes up, does it really make sense
for their views not to be heard?  Are they really not trusted at 999
world, do you have new people with great insight, and old people with
bad habits, and every mix in between?  I'd urge opening up and letting
any registered user comment on governance issues.  Toss out spammers,
yes.  Toss out off thread conversations, absolutely.  Fling the
flames, please.  Ban the repeat offenders, absolutely.  But consider
that good ideas and good advice can come from anywhere, often from
where you least expect it.

-Rob