incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:36:41 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Rory O'Farrell <> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:10:32 -0400
> Rob Weir <> wrote:
>> Here are the roles at Apache:
>> Do you have a similar list, with definitions, for the forums?
>> It would be good to understand what you think a "Volunteer" would map
>> to in terms of an Apache role.  Ditto for Admin and Moderator.
> On my way out the door to a meeting, so o time to read your url at present.
> Volunteers do the daily low level work of answering queires
> Moderators do Volunteer work and handle assessment of doubtful postings, with deletion
and modification powers and banning powers, all which can be subject to review by the forum
> Admins handle the code.

So based on your definitions the mapping might be:

Volunteer = Apache contributor.  This is not a title, no one is voted
in or appointed as a contributor.  It is just what we call someone who
contributes to the project, by submitting a patch, reporting a bug,
contributing to an email thread, helping a user on a list, etc.

Admins, since they handle code should probably be Committers in the
project.  But it is also possible for volunteers/contributors with
sustain and valued contributions answering questions to be voted in as
Committers as well.

Moderators -- I could see that mapping to a committer, or just being
rights the PMC assigns to a contributor.  For example, with mailing
lists we do not require that a list moderator be a committer.  On the
other hand, list moderators cannot ban users, at least not so far as I
can tell. But same thing applies here.  I'd encourage us to look at
sustained contributions from moderators and vote them in, where
merited, as committers and PPMC members.

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <>

View raw message