incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 14:45:31 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/11 15:15, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Terry Ellison<Terry@ellisons.org.uk>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> A few days ago, I made the statement below and received a generally
>>> robust
>>> and unapologetic response.  I don't want to rehash this again, but this
>>> tipped the balance for me and I decided to finish off my work with Apache
>>> and hand over.  What has somewhat surprised me and this is the issue that
>>> want to flag up the the PPMC in this note, is the volume and tone of the
>>> general responses that I received when I let the forums know of my
>>> decision
>>> to hand over and stand down.
>>>
>> I don't see anything recent from you on the forums.  Can you send a
>> link to your note and the responses?  It is much better to get first
>> hand information, I think, then to have it filtered through someone
>> else.
>
> We tend not to "wash our dirty linen" in public so these discussions go on
> on the closed forums.  That's one of the reasons why I recommended that PPMC
> members should request Community Volunteer status to have such access.  Of
> course quite a few DL members and some PPMC members already have Community
> Volunteer status.   I don't know if you've noticed, but they've gone rather
> quiet of late.  //T

I don't think discussions about how the project is run is something
that we should be doing in private.  Discussing such matters, even if
strong opinions are raised, is the essence of transparency.  Remember,
controversial is not the same as confidential.  In Apache projects we
discuss non-confidential matters openly.

-Rob