incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:49:28 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2011 3:45 PM, "Rob Weir" <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't think discussions about how the project is run is something
>> that we should be doing in private.  Discussing such matters, even if
>> strong opinions are raised, is the essence of transparency.  Remember,
>> controversial is not the same as confidential.  In Apache projects we
>> discuss non-confidential matters openly.
>
> ... unless they are on the PPMC private list, when that royal "we" no longer
> includes everyone here. I believe Terry and others are saying that the
> (independent) forum community has a similar approach, with a private forum
> for sensitive matters. I also believe that in the interests of that very
> transparency you and others are invited to participate in that place as a
> transitional activity.

Simon,  we are not discussing project operations on ooo-private.  We
use that list for voting in new committers and for exchanging
confidential information, like the real email addresses of new
committers.  Almost any other attempted use of ooo-private has been
quickly shut down my our Mentors, rightfully, since the default
behavior should be to discuss things openly.  In fact, if the very
discussion that is currently occurring (according to Terry) on the
private forum had occurred on ooo-private, we would have received a
lecture from a Mentor on the need for transparency.

-Rob