incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concerns about all PDL website material
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:59:24 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
>
> I am under impression that the license for everything on OOo is PDL, yet almost nothing
fulfills the terms.

> Copyrights are with the Initial Writer. If I can find an Initial Writer I will mark it
- pretty much only in <META> tags although that is whose OOo back in 2000/2002 created
or changed the page or some lists in some places.

> As far as copyright where there is no identified Initial Writer should we:
>
> (1) Have no copyright.
> (2) Put the ASF copyright in place.
> (3) Put an Oracle copyright on it.
> (4) Put an OpenOffice.org copyright on it.
>
> We can't do (3) we're not Oracle. We should stop doing (2).
>
> Unless there is an argument in one direction or another I'll do (1) by Lazy Consensus.

What does it mean to "do (1)"?  Are you saying to remove the notice in
the appendix?

> I recommend that as we replace pages with AOOo policies that we create mdtext replacements
as fresh files.

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> It would seem that these (few, I believe we're told) can be handled the same as unclear
provenance anywhere in the code base and its dependencies.

>> The ideal time to clean these up would be when the site is under the OpenOffice.org
domain name but actually hosted on Apache infrastructure.  That gives complete ability to
make all of the adjustments that are needed, including the numerous minor ones to connect
to the Bugzilla, etc.

>> I'm not clear how migration of the wiki is impacted, unless you mean the proposed
movement of material now on static web pages into the wiki?

> That is my concern. Kay will need to assure that we know which wiki pages came in as
"PDL" as I think they'll need to stay that way.

>> Exactly where are you finding these PDL license notices?  The first one I found
was on the "Open Office.org 3 Installation Guide", a PDF (or ODT) reachable from <http://download.openoffice.org/common/instructions.html>.
 If we *don't touch it* can't it be retained until a permissively-licenses alternative is
needed?  I don't see a reason to be concerned that the authors/contributors did not properly
execute the instructions of the license they have offered.

> That's not the concern, the concern is if StarOffice, Sun, and/or Oracle lost the paperwork.
I suppose should we be presented with a copy of the PDL from an Initial Writer then we fix
the issue.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> - Dennis
>>
>> RELAXED RETAIN, SUPPLEMENT, AND REPLACE SCENARIO
>>
>> If the notices are always in standalone documents such as the Installation Guide,
I don't see any problem making them available the same way they are now.  They should simply
be left intact.  They can be replaced by non-derivative replacements later, when there are
Apache OOo releases that require different information.  I don't see why we have to hurry.
 Instructions for existing releases remain valuable to keep around.  I suggest preserving
them right where they are, where people expect to find them.

>> When there are releases from Apache OOo, supplementary documents could be offered.
 That would be another way to provide specific information applicable to later releases.
 I see considerable time before these PDL-licensed documents need to be supplanted. They
might be retained for a very long time.

>> - Dennis

to doubt if can do much with it other than rehost and correct obvious changes in policy.

point without resolving the following.)

If it is not possible to put such notice in a particular Documentation file due to its structure,
then You must include such notice in a location (such as a relevant directory) where a reader
would be likely to look for such a notice, for example, via a hyperlink in each file of the
Documentation that takes the reader to a page that describes the origin and ownership of the
Documentation. If You created one or more Modification(s) You may add your name as a Contributor
to the notice described in the Appendix.
a hyperlink in each file of the Documentation) where You describe recipients' rights or ownership
rights.

License Version 1.0 (the "License"); you may only use this Documentation if you comply with
the terms of this License. A copy of the License is available at __________________[Insert
hyperlink].
the Original Documentation is ___________ Copyright (C)_________[Insert year(s)]. All Rights
Reserved. (Initial Writer contact(s):________________[Insert hyperlink/alias]).
All Rights Reserved. (Contributor contact(s):________________[Insert hyperlink/alias]).
the notices in the files of the Original Documentation. You should use the text of this Appendixrather
than the text found in the Original Documentation for Your Modifications.

>>> Does it ever actually require that someone fill in the blanks in the
>>> Appendix?  I see that it requires one to duplicate the notice in the
>>> appendix.  And it permits (but does not require) initial writers and
>>> contributors to add their names to the Appendix.
>>
>> If no one seems to ever provide this information then what can we assume? If there
is no Initial Writer then who holds the copyright? Where's the paperwork? Where does that
leave us? Square one on the website and anything derived from PDL?

>> Regards,
>> Dave

further contributors are for all most all web pages. There are some that have meta tags, but
that is not following the terms.

"Contributor" of Oracle Corporation?

enough history to determine "Initial Writers" and "Contributors"?

or CWiki without clarification.