incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:43:20 GMT
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/2011, at 2:40, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> To help prioritize the list migration efforts, I've collected numbers
>> from the legacy OOo lists.  Looking at 2011 posts, year to date, these
>> are the average posts/day for the most-used lists.
>>
>> I've arbitrarily cut-off the lost at lists having more than one post
>> every other day.  There are 332 lists overall that I could find, most
>> of them getting little to no traffic.   To put these numbers in
>> perspective note that our ooo-dev list averages 59 posts per day. So
>> we know what that traffic feels like.   If we add up all of the top
>> 100 OOo lists, excluding the Bugzilla notifications, they add up to 62
>> posts/day average.
>>
>> So I think this argues strongly for list consolidation.  Direct all
>> user-related lists to ooo-users and project-related lists to ooo-dev.
>>
>> List Posts/day
>> org.openoffice.allbugs    54.8
>> org.openoffice.users    9.0
>> org.openoffice.de.users    7.9
>> org.openoffice.de.dev    4.1
>> org.openoffice.fr.users    3.6
>> org.openoffice.it.utenti    3.2
>> org.openoffice.dev    3.2
>> org.openoffice.user-faq.authors    2.9
>> org.openoffice.discuss    2.5
>> org.openoffice.l10n.dev    1.6
>> org.openoffice.dba.needsconfirm    1.3
>> org.openoffice.es.discuss_es    1.2
>> org.openoffice.marketing.dev    1.2
>> org.openoffice.api.dev    1.1
>> org.openoffice.ja.discuss    1.0
>> org.openoffice.releases    0.9
>> org.openoffice.allcvs    0.9
>> org.openoffice.qa.dev    0.9
>> org.openoffice.es.dev    0.9
>> org.openoffice.fi.users    0.9
>> org.openoffice.distribution.dev    0.8
>> org.openoffice.cws-announce    0.8
>> org.openoffice.br-pt.usuarios    0.7
>> org.openoffice.nl.gebruikers    0.7
>> org.openoffice.es.users    0.7
>> org.openoffice.it.localizzazione    0.7
>> org.openoffice.distribution.cdrom    0.6
>

> IMO, looking at traffic on 2011 lists gives a false impression, at least when averaged.
I can only speak for the two active lists at documentation (dev and authors), but they are
quite active when we are working on docs for a release but very quiet at other times. And
authors is now further skewed because I've been asking people to leave that list for a new
list at ODFAuthors, in preparation for shutdown of the OOo lists.

But it is all skewed in that direction, right?  When we get closer to
a release the ooo-dev list will pick up as well.

I suppose the most accurate thing would look at the period from one
release start to end, so you pick up the peak of each activity.

In any case, do you have any objections to the general recommendation?
 We can always create additional lists in the future, based on a
demonstrated need for them  We know that is easy and has a fast
turnaround.  But it is harder to repair fragmentation and
compartmentalization once we're all in our boxes.

-Rob

> BTW, I'm fascinated that there is traffic listed for org.openoffice.user-faq.authors,
because I thought that list had been closed when org.openoffice.documentation.authors was
started, several years ago. Perhaps the former was renamed for public consumption.