incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An invitation to committers to the OOo Community Forums
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:14:31 GMT
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shane there are some intrinsic differences between a DL and posting into a
>> forum. However, reading this entire thread I get the feeling that some of
>> the current practices on the forum may be unacceptable to Apache / the
>> project.  However in this case, I would suggest that:
>>
>> 1) we adopt an evolutionary approach -- that is get the forums moved and
>> then make any changes.
>>
>> 2) we constitute a small group with forum experience *and* ASF experience do
>> a specific task of reviewing current practices against Apache norms and
>> practices, then draft some change guidelines for feeding to the forums, and
>> an impact assessment of their implementation.  We can then feed them into
>> the ooo-dev list for comment and if needed vote on their adoption.
>>

> Actually - reading this thread - I think running an support forum of
> this kind is something we haven't done before at apache (or at least
> to my knowledge). That being said we probably need to rethink of what
> we have done in the past.
>
>> This would address such issue as:
>> (i) Do we allow the forum moderators use the forum itself to discuss forum
>> management or must this be done on ooo-dev
>
> In tradition, all ASF related matters - code, users etc - are
> discussed in public on the dev list. The user lists has been utilized
> to do support to users. Now there is an forum in addtiion to a list.
> The credo is:"if it happened on list, it didn't happen". Ok, the board
> is not on list - so it didn't happen. I think management of the board
> can also happen on the board as Terry suggested (i think he did).

That logic doesn't really work.  The fact that it is not a mailing
list (and therefore "it didn't happen") is not magical permission to
do things in a project that would otherwise not be allowed.  For
example, could we create a forum for project-level fundraising, for
paying developers, for developing code not under ALv2 and for selling
CD's of AOOo, and argue that this is OK, because, "the board is not on
list - so it didn't happen"?