incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Create a second incubator podling - the ooo forums
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:26:08 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there are much emotions on the ooo forum at the moment and my feeling
> says if we continue this path of discussion, we'll have some problems.
>
> Now I had an idea: what if we would make up another incubator podling
> - the ooo forums - with an own PPMC.
> In fact Rob already expressed something like that and introduced the
> idea to run the forums outside apache. But this can happen different.
> What if we run the forums outside of the standard ooo project but as a
> project on its own.
>
> I mean, the forums have some technic - the phpBB boards.
> They have active admins (I call PPMC) and active mentors (committers).
>
> I think making ooo-forums another podling is way easier than
> integrating it into ooo-dev.
>
> Thoughts?

I was actually having similar thoughts last night before I went to
bed.  The forum admins want to maintain their own decision making
apparatus separate and distinct from the AOOo PPMC.  In other words
(in Apache terms) they want their own PPMC.  Since they have 75
volunteers, this in itself would be a good nucleus for a standalone
project.

As a Podling that also gives them the opportunity to understand the
Apache Way and how Apache works at a more leisurely pace.