incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is needed for Support Forums to be fully integrated into the Apache OpenOffice.org project
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:18:00 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> -1. Same as Zoltan. Except if admins and moderators are PPMC themselves.
>>> They are the ones who monitor the forum, know the users by reading their
>>> posts and how they react.
>>>
>> So you want  to continue picking your own admins and moderators,
>> without ever consulting or reviewing these choices with the PPMC?
>
> As I mentioned in another (ignored) thread, I support that moderators
> are committers and admins are PPMCs.
> Why should they be treated different? Every forum PPMC should propose
> a new forum-committer (aka moderator) on the ooo-dev list of course.
> But THEY know better than any other PPMC what the nominated guy has
> done. They should be able to get 3 votes and vote somebody in.

I've suggested this elsewhere as a bootstrapping mechanism, to map the
forum roles to project roles and then to vote them in passed on their
past (and current) contributions and commitment to the project.  But
this would be bootstrapping, like we did with the project's "initial
committers".  But after that the normal project meritocracy would
operate, namely new committers and PPMC members are proposed and voted
on by the PPMC.

> In addition, I support the idea that moderators (aka committers) and
> admins (aka PPMC) can gie the volunteer role to a user of their liking
> without asking the ppmc.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "the volunteer role".

>> I'm not sure that is really compatible with the idea of a project-wide
>> meritocracy.  You do a disservice to your own volunteers if you do not
>> bring them to the PPMC, show their valued contributions and allow this
>> to be recognized.  Regardless of language, you should be able to say,
>> in a sentence or two, what the volunteers have contributed, etc.  This
>> is a key role for all PPMC members, to be on the watch for future
>> Committers and PPMC members.  So I'm not sure your approach is really
>> in the best long term interest of the project.
>
> The rule is: create a vote for them on the ooo-dev/ooo-privacy list.
> Then everything should be fine, right?

For bootstrapping purposes, yes.  But we then need to move this to a
single project-wide meritocracy.  This might even work if we did it at
the admin level only at first.  Ensure the admins become PPMC members
and going forward new admins are proposed, discussed and approved by
the PPMC.