incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: handling of ext_sources - Juergen's suggestion [was: Re: A systematic approach to IP review?]
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:26:19 GMT
Ai2011/9/20 Pavel Janík <Pavel@janik.cz>:
>> Have we ever considered using version control to...uh...manage file versions?
>>
>> Just an idea.
>

> Maybe Heiner will say more, but in the past, we have had the external tarballs in the
VCS, but then we moved them out and it worked very well. There never was a reason to track
external.tar.gz files in VCS, because we do not change them.
> --

That's fine.  If they don't change, then doing a "svn update" will not
bring them down each time.

Aside from being useful for version control, SVN is useful also very
useful as an audit trail.  So in the rare occasions when one of these
files does change, we know who changed it and why.  This is important
for ensuring the IP cleanliness of the project.

Is your main concern performance?  Even as individual tarballs,
ext-sources is 86 files, 250MB.  ooo/extras is 243 files and 822 MB.
And ooo/main is 76,295 files for over 900MB.  So ext-sources is not a
huge contributor to download time.