incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:05:35 GMT
On 28 September 2011 13:31, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 13:05 +0100, Ian Lynch wrote:
> > >
> > > or why not just shake hands and part as friends.
> > >

> > Of course we can but that makes inefficient use of the resources and is
> less
> > good for Open Source in general.
>
> Well, as you can guess I disagree - it's only inefficient if one
> doggedly holds to the idea that the two projects should (nor need to)
> share a common code base going forward - by why would that be?

Because it takes more resources to maintain two different code bases.
 Resources are at a premium therefore duplicating effort makes no logical
sense. This is simple logic, nothing to do with dogmatism. The illogical and
emotional position is to do with ownership, not the logic of optimising
resources.

>   Fine strategy if we had thousands of
> > developers in each project and a MS size budget.
>
> well there isn't thousands of developers on the two projects combined
> now, and as for potential developers it isn't thousands, it's millions.

Firstly, more developer resource is better than less, all other things being
equal. More developers working on less code is simply an optimisation of the
resources to the tasks. The barriers to entry to participation are too high
to assume that there will ever be a surplus in developer resource. All the
historical evidence points to this.

Friends usually can share things for mutual benefit.

I come back to the point that if division is intrinsically good, why not
fork Inkscape, Audacity, Gimp, etc etc.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940