incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 12:05:17 GMT

> or why not just shake hands and part as friends.

Of course we can but that makes inefficient use of the resources and is less
good for Open Source in general.  Fine strategy if we had thousands of
developers in each project and a MS size budget.

> Two projects and two applications.
>
> - if AOO wants to get on desktops they need to produce an application
> that better addresses the needs of their target user base then LibO

Given the number of full time developers now at AOO it is really just a
matter of time to get a good desktop product out. Whether it is better or
not than the LibO version will always be debateable. (I suspect for most
users it will never be more than a marginal decision since most don't use
most of what is there now). Rather than taking the competitive option why
not the cooperative? The real competition is MS Office and there are already
other open source office suites such as Koffice to provide some diversity.

- if LibO wants desktops they need to better addresses the needs of
> their target user base then AOO.

Of course on that logic why not fork every FOSS project to increase
competition in the market?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940