incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Diploma thesis: a survey about Oracle's care of the OpenOffice.org community (and not LibreOffice)
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:38:12 GMT
On 28 September 2011 07:33, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:

> 2011/9/28 André Schnabel <andre.schnabel@gmx.net>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > first of all, I feel sorry, that I did forward the request to this list.
> >
> > Seems you feel more disturbed than than realizing the chance to help
> > someone with his thesis.
>
> I have helped students on their thesis toward FOSS governance and FOSS
> localization process, but I would be very careful to do on a survey that
> could be perceived or manipulated to get a non-technical and rather bias
> view of something that has been discussed over and over.
>
> I would be happier if the thesis reffer to an actual technical topic, like
> how to approach and update the image managing engine, or restore
> animations on the Flash export module of OOo. Or if there is a better
> solution to handle SVG. Or address/resolve issues within the latest ODF
> schema.
>
> But I see this a more of a Journalist/PR study more than an actual CS-level
> study. (I am thinking this student comes from a CS background).

It is perfectly legitimate to research social as well as technical aspects
of projects. I have a physics background but I researched motivation theory
in education for an MSc in education management dissertation. As usual
everyone is an expert in education often with no qualifications and no
experience apart from going to school :-). I use MySQL, does that make me an
expert in coding it?

As Andre says, some things in a survey might not be intuitive, that seems
like a possible indication that the survey is well designed because it means
the respondent is not able to simply tick things at random. (I haven't
looked at this particular one in detail so it might or might not apply, but
it would be surprising if an academic tutor at a university didn't pick up
serious flaws).

I wonder if such a reaction would have happened if the questions had all
been biased to a LibreOffice view of the world ;-) ? Come on guys, let's be
a little more tolerant about these things. If you don't want to take part
simply ignore it. If you want to help the guy, fill it in. It's more about
him learning than marketing propaganda for any project in any case.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.