incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:27:38 GMT
On 30 September 2011 17:04, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

--- On Fri, 9/30/11, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> > Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Choosing to use inadequate tools is no excuse to be
> > bad mannered.
> > >

> > The interesting thing is that there may be people who don't
> > know they are using the wrong tools. If someone has not
> > participated in a list like this before, then they the mail
> > client on their desktop may not be configured suitably for
> > participating in this list.  They may need to change the
> > configuration, or even change their application.
> >

> Unfortunately you can't always choose: I've been using my
> Yahoo! account practically since I use the Internet: on the latest
> update you can't break the incoming message so you have to top post
> and on an iPad you can't even include the previous message.
>
> Pedro.
>

> > Does anyone know a list of what mail apps are known to work
> > well and
> > which ones poorly, and which ones require config changes?
> >
> > For example, Lotus Notes (which I have by default on my
> > desktop) does
> > not collapse quoted sections, so using it for following the
> > list was a
> > nightmare.  Gmail is much better in that regard and is
> > what I use now.
> >
> > Any recommendations (ideally for each platform) for what
> > works well?
> > And what should be avoided?
> >
> > -Rob

> > > Not just merely 'unpleasant'
> > >
> > >    A: Because we read from top to bottom, left to
> > right.
> > >    Q: Why should I start my reply below the quoted
> > text?
> > >
> > >    A: Because it messes up the order in which people
> > normally read text.
> > >    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > >
> > >    A: The lost context.
> > >    Q: What makes top-posted replies harder to read
> > than bottom-posted?
> > >
> > >    A: Yes.
> > >    Q: Should I trim down the quoted part of an email
> > to which I'm replying?
> > >
> > > Norbert

It's amazing how such small things can cause such controversy and angst. I
don't personally care too much. For me I'd just change e-mail client if it
makes it easier to join in. I switched from Evolution to Gmail about a year
ago and I wish I had done it ages ago. Ok, a little pain as my attempt to
copy over my 2 gig of archived mail failed but it really hasn't been that
inconvenient. Far better to just be able to get my mail on my 'phone
whenever I need it. Whatever is decided I'll go along with it, but it seems
to me trying to have some convention at least gives some degree of
operational consistency. I thought Ross was very polite so I don't really
see why anyone would take it as insulting.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.