incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:28:31 GMT
On 28 September 2011 11:53, Thorsten Behrens <thb@documentfoundation.org>wrote:

> Hi Jürgen,
>
> first off, glad to hear you stay with our code & the ecosystem! :)
>
> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > From my point of view the reasons for the fork are not longer
> > valid and it should be possible to continue one project, one
> > office together.
> >
> I don't believe it's helpful to start a discussion by asserting that
> the other party's motivations are no longer valid.
>
> > But from a technical perspective it doesn't make sense to split the
> > resources in 2 groups working on more or less the same thing.
> >
> Oh, I'm perfectly with you on that one! :)
>
> > It is still early enough to reunify the code base and use the well
> > known brand OpenOffice for a binary release. It would be the best
> > choice for our users.
> >
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but binary releases bearing that
> name can only be made by the ASF, or can they?

Why not do like Google with Chrome and Chromium?

Make the Apache release AOpenOffice on Windows and Mac and make LibreOffice
on Linux. Share the core coding at ASF and make GPL specific versions for
Linux at TDF and perhaps some other OpenDocument software since one would
expect TDF to have the document format as a focus. This way we can make more
efficient use of the developer resource while allowing ASF and TDF to keep
their distinctive identities. The only real problem with this strategy is
that some people might philosophically want to only code for GPL so they
would be restricted to things specific to Linux - well it's never a perfect
world :-). Question to ask is, is it better or worse for FOSS over all?

Jürgen, glad you are still here!

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940