incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:30:49 GMT
> If TDF wants to take the AOOo source code and build it, with or
> without enhancements, and release it under the name "LibreOffice" for
> use with Linux distros, then they are welcome to do that.  They need
> no additional permissions from Apache or this project.

But that isn't really the point. The point is to look for ways we can talk
on an even footing for the good of both projects not say things as if it is
a them and us confrontation. Makes one realise why diplomats have a
different skill set to technocrats ;-)

In any case, I think we should avoid treating LO or AOOo as a unified
> mass of opinion, where every participant in each project thinks
> identically and agrees.

That doesn't happen in any political organisation. But political
organisations do look for consensus in key areas that are for the benefit of
both. Look at the current UK government and I'd hope that LibO AOO were
politically closer than those two ;-)

> Things are different now.  Now they have an alternative in AOOo.

This is simply assuming that the competitive option is better than a
cooperative one. In some circumstances that is so, in these circumstances I
think it will simply make inefficient use of resources.  However, I see
little chance of reconciling this while the dominant voices seem so keen to
rub each other up the wrong way.

We
> should continue to move forward with our vision.  As our project and
> community develops and we get closer to a solid release, the power of
> an open, meritocratic development process at Apache will be more
> evident.  The volunteer who easily moved from OOo to LO will easily
> move to AOOo once we show ourselves to have progress, vitality,
> encouragement and fun.

So your strategy is we are superior, they will see the light and convert?
Sounds to me like a religious experience :-)

 But we have a lot of work to get there.

Which would be a lot easier with rather than without cooperation and with
agreement on reasonable division of labour for development. Yes it will
happen anyway eventually but why make life more difficult than it needs to
be?

 But
> this is not a race to see who can reformat code indentation in 8
> million lines of code the fastest.   Honestly, the state of the
> community in 6 months is more critical than the state of the code in 6
> months.  The community is the platform we build the project on.

Which seems completely antithetical to the rest of your post.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.