incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Top posting is bad
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:39:17 GMT

On 30 September 2011 13:18, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>wrote:

> The assumption behind this recommendation seems to be that all
> mail clients are the same and the list is read the same by
> everyone.  I already *manually* truncate lines to match the
> line-width of the sender.

Hi Dennis, I'm on Gmail and it is quite easy to top post accidentally :-).
Gmail hides a lot of the quoted text anyway unless you want to see it.

On the other hand I think having a convention we all try to stick to is a
good idea simply because it provides consistency and predictability. I'd
hate to think that this was something that would get to such a point you
would leave given the amount of hard graft you put in. It's not that
important.  Surely it isn't too difficult, though, to post sequentially.
Took me all of 5 seconds to rearrange the order of your post in reply to
Ross in this mail and chop out most of the text :-). Really this whole issue
gets blown out of proportion, but I'd say if it's not a big imposition let's
just go with the flow.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940