incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Tor Lillqvist <...@iki.fi>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 05:52:07 GMT
> BrOffice(.org) is a very strong brand and community, probably the
> largest and most influential OOo/LibO community in the world.

I think you are unaware of the latest developments (or then I am
unaware, which of course is more likely).

Anyway, for LibreOffice 3.3 (I think it was) we indeed went through a
*lot* of pain to show separate BrOffice branding (artwork, the name)
in the pt-BR locale, both in the application itself, and in the two
levels of the Windows installer (especially the latter it was not
trivial to make it show BrOffice branding in Brazil).

We did it in such a way that the actual installer and software bits
were 100% the same, though; this was the hard part, i.e. we didn't
have any separately compiled BrOffice "version", or separately built
installer.

Then for 3.4 this was reversed, as I understood it the need for a
separate BrOffice brand evaporated. Now LibreOffice is called
LibreOffice also in Brazil, and no BrOffice branding is left. Of
course, there might be some more complex politics involved that I
don't know of. (Who knows, maybe some people still would like to have
a separate BrOffice, and now then look at AOOo for that?)

--tml