incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:36:45 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>wrote:

> On 29.09.2011 09:56, Ian Lynch wrote:
>
> > On 28 September 2011 16:51, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> If everyone agreed that having a single project was best today, then
> >> we would have a single project tomorrow.
> >
> > Point is we have made little real effort to achieve any consensus on
> this.
> > We have done a lot of bitching on both sides and posted stuff like this
> that
> > almost guarantees it will never happen. >
> >>   The question should be what
> >> can you, or I, or anyone else who wants that outcome, do today, to
> >> make it more likely to move closer to that outcome.
> >>

> > I'd say stop posting reactionary and emotive stuff when someone makes a
> > positive suggestion to get people working together.
>
> You've hit the nail on the head!
>
> Since the split of the OOo community we had the strange situation that
> many people on both sides declared an interest to get together (even if
> it is unclear today how that will look like), but when we had
> discussions about that matter, most participants acted like they wanted
> the opposite.
>
> Looking for parts in each others posts that could be *interpreted*
> negatively got more interest than praising the positive statements in
> them. I have a very philantropic attitude, so I still believe that this
> was caused by negative emotions of the past, not by malevolence. But
> IMHO it's time to stop that and look forward, not backwards.
>
> Nobody is perfect - so people make mistakes. Sometimes also people have
> to do things for reasons that are not their own (I know this well
> enough!). If you want cooperation, you have to remember this and focus
> on the positive sides that can help to establish or foster cooperation,
> but not enhance the negative sides and blame people for them.
>
> And nobody should expect that anybody will come up with a plan and -
> whoosh! - both projects will work together. That won't happen. Future
> cooperation will require small steps and the admittance to overcome the
> mostly psychological barriers.

I dunno why this is such an issue really, we are both open source projects.
Cooperating and working together doesnt really needs much, just commit to
both projects and move on. I mean, what are we looking for here, do you want
an explicit thank you note from both projects? Or you only wanting to get
commits and contribute to both.

I see many people commenting but also commiting to both projects and working
fine between both. I just wonder why not more people do the same. Bugzilla,
Wiki and others wont bann you from sending your commits and if you are
afraid of a user deleting your contributions, news are they probably got
bigger things to do than police from preventing OOo people to contribute to
LibO wiki pootle git and svn etc and vise-versa.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol