incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Starting a conversation on AOOo 4.0
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:52:54 GMT
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Shao Zhi Zhao <zhaoshzh@cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> IBM symphony will contribute to Apache, it has good UI,it will be
> fit to your requirement.

I wouldn't want to have AOOo with a Symphony UI, part of the reason that OOo
has got so popular is because their familiar UI. There were many talks on
how thanks to the ribbons, many people has moved from Office to
OpenOffice.org.

At the same time, I do think we need to improve our freshness but I wouldnt
go as far as implementing a whole new UI just because. I would rather see
this as an incremental change that will take some new concepts and apply
them to the UI in OOo.

In a web 2.0 age, too many changes usually pissed off most of the userbase.
We know the facebooks cries everytime they change  and is almost expected. I
would even move to a more simplified version of AOOo when we try to
unclutter rather than change. So how can we make users do more with less. A
switch layout button would be nice, so users dont need to open a Page dialog
or a style to change it. Something similar to Impress as you apply a
background and a dialog ask, apply to all. That is just a usability
improvement that we could think of adopting.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol