incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Starting a conversation on AOOo 4.0
Date Sun, 25 Sep 2011 06:05:45 GMT
On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Tor Lillqvist <tml@iki.fi> wrote:

> > So, Tor, what is your point of view on UI changes?
>
> I am all in favour of changing the UI, but I am fully aware that I am
> not an expert in UI issues, and don't claim to know how it should be
> changed. (Also, I am a programmer, not an office software user; I
> actually use LibreOffice (or OOo) for real work quite seldom.) I don't
> think generalizations and "well-known truths" are trustworthy.
> Especially, one should be careful of falling into the trap of
> claiming some UI is "intuitive". It is fairly natural that if one has
> used Phillips head screws for a decade, Torx head screws feel
> unintuitive. Or that if one has used GIMP for a decade, Photoshop
> feels unintuitive.

I would rather go to improve the usability factors that are different from
changing the UI. Usability means doing things faster and with less clicks.
There are many users that have put long lasting bugs and usability issues.
For example Writer behaves different than Draw on some things that make no
sense. For example, image handling in writer are limited from basic Draw
functionality like rotate a bitmap image. Writer can link frames as a
ongoing text while draw can't do the same.
Programatically it would make more sense these services work together just
like Writer and Calc used the same service for their tables.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol