incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [EXT][DISCUSS] Including Groovy as a scripting language
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 05:29:33 GMT
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM, Carl Marcum <cmarcum@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to gauge the interest in including Groovy [1] as a scripting
> language.
>
>  For those not familiar, Groovy is a dynamic language for the JVM that
> includes features like closures, builders, and dynamic typing.

>  There is currently a Groovy For OpenOffice extension [2] for this
> available under LGPL. I have contacted the author regarding additionally
> licensing the extension as Apache and he would be willing to do that to
> include it.

> Groovy itself is under the Apache 2.0 so I thought it may be a good fit.

My biggest reservation toward this is if groovy makes OOo even more heavy.
Meaning that if it get bundled in, it will create a similar effect to Python
runtime within OpenOffice.org.

So there are some spring cleaning that needs to happen to python, meaning
removing all modules and files that are not needed by OOo and maybe even
adding some files that will ease the development of Python in the scripting
framework ie. TCL and others.

On a similar venue, I will recommend that adding Groovy would also need
bootstrap to minimize the overall size impact of the bundle.

At the same time many projects to improve the development of extensions have
been idle including a Java-GUI development environment and UNO-base IDE for
Python and other scripting languages (like Beanshell, and others.

Of course the smartest and quickest thing to do is to make the Basic IDE/GUI
designer compliant with the rest of the languages (Java, Python, Beanshell,
... Groovy).

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol