incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What could Doc be?
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 00:19:14 GMT
Returning to a point Rob made earlier...

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 10:36, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> My general view is this:  After 10 years of OpenOffice.org we have
> about as many volunteers as the status quo will ever get us.  If
> someone is really interested and able to contribute to the project,
> they either are doing so already, do doing so for LibreOffice.   This
> is due to the great work OOo did over the years raising awareness of
> the project.

New people become available every week, as their "able to contribute"
status changes. A conspicuous subset of these are people who are
retiring from paid work (voluntarily or not) and now have time. There
are other categories, primarily techwriting students and writing or IT
professionals looking to make a change into techwriting.

The dev@docs.ooo list receives 1 or 2 offers to help per day from
people not formerly involved with OOo, which I pick up in the
moderation queue. Of these, very few ever become active or productive,
but occasionally there is a potential gem: someone with relevant
skills and/or experience who now has the time to contribute. We have a
generic "welcome and here's how to get started in OOo Docs" response
that we send to most such enquiries; at present that suggests people
join either this list or the ODFAuthors list. If someone sounds
particularly suitable, I usually contact them with a more personalised
note.

I haven't been paying close attention (sorry), but I am under the
impression that when the OOo lists are shut down, messages will be
redirected to this list (with exceptions, such as users@), so this
list's moderators will be dealing with those from unsubscribed people.
Are those messages passed through to the list, or sent a reponse of
some sort?

--Jean