incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:58:37 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 07:43, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

>> IMO, looking at traffic on 2011 lists gives a false impression, at least when averaged.
I can only speak for the two active lists at documentation (dev and authors), but they are
quite active when we are working on docs for a release but very quiet at other times. And
authors is now further skewed because I've been asking people to leave that list for a new
list at ODFAuthors, in preparation for shutdown of the OOo lists.

> But it is all skewed in that direction, right?  When we get closer to
> a release the ooo-dev list will pick up as well.
>
> I suppose the most accurate thing would look at the period from one
> release start to end, so you pick up the peak of each activity.
>
> In any case, do you have any objections to the general recommendation?
>  We can always create additional lists in the future, based on a
> demonstrated need for them  We know that is easy and has a fast
> turnaround.  But it is harder to repair fragmentation and
> compartmentalization once we're all in our boxes.
>
> -Rob

I have no objection to the general recommendation of list
consolidation, directing all
user-related lists to ooo-users and project-related lists to ooo-dev.

I think there is merit in establishing a list, sooner rather than
later, specifically for user documentation content producers (writers,
editors, indexers), to encourage people (especially any newcomers to
the user-docs effort) to use an Apache user-docs list instead of the
ODFAuthors list. But that's a topic for its own thread, I think.

--Jean