incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legacy OOo list post stats
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2011 05:58:38 GMT
On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 15:47, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Would it be worth generalizing this to a list that covers help,
>>> documentation, training/tutorials,FAQ's, even support technology (as
>>> opposed to support delivery)?  So something like ooo-user-services, or
>>> ooo-infodev, or something like that?  If we really think that there
>>> should be a better connection and sharing among these concerns,
>>> getting them discussed on the same list might help encourage
>>> cross-pollination.
>>

>> Yes, certainly the list should cover all content types (help,
>> training/tutorials -- including video, FAQs, user guides, etc). To me
>> "userdocs" does encompass all of those forms, but perhaps another name
>> would convey that meaning better to other people. I'd be happy with
>> (say) ooo-infodev or a similar name; I was just looking for the
>> shortest variation that would work. (Aside: I wonder how common or
>> well-known the phrase "information development" is outside of IBM. Not
>> an important consideration, just idle curiosity.)
>>
>> I have no objection to including and encouraging the discussion of
>> other forms of user support. It's probably a good idea to include
>> them, to (as you say) encourage better connection and sharing.
>>

> Great.  The name is less important than the intent to be inclusive of
> these topics.  I was just a little concerned the the word "user" in
> the list name might be a false attractor for users.

VERY good point. We often got user-support questions sent to the
"documentation" list, so having "user" in the name might make the
problem worse. With that in mind, "ooo-infodev" or "ooo-docs" do seem
like better choices. Anyone interested in producing user-oriented
documentation can be directed to the list, and perhaps users looking
for answers won't be attracted to it.

> I'd volunteer to moderate.

OK, that makes two from North America, though it seems to me you have
rather a lot on your plate already. A bit later, when the Europeans
are stirring, we might hear from someone there. Meanwhile, I'll
mention this at ODFAuthors.

--Jean