incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of existing OOo user guides
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 22:05:44 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 07:52, Jean Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 23:02, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> What should I tell the small group that remains from the ODFAuthors
>>> team that has been working on the user guides?
>>>

>> Feel free to share this note.  You could invite them to discuss here
>> at ooo-dev, or I'd be happy to answer questions on your list, if you
>> prefer.
>
> I have forwarded your note to the ODFAuthors list. On several
> occasions I have invited them to join this list; I have no idea how
> many may have done so. If we start getting discussion about your
> points, it might be more efficient for you to answer questions on the
> ODFAuthors list. odfauthors-discuss-subscribe@lists.odfauthors.org
>

>> Long term, the ideal from my perspective is for ODFAuthors to become
>> part of the AOOo project, have their own ooo-doc/ooo-docs/ooo-infodev
>> mailing list, agree to move to ALv2 for future contributions, and
>> produce docs that because of that license choice can be used freely,
>> by AOOo, by LibreOffice, Symphony, even freely translated for
>> RedOffice, etc.  Such an arrangement also makes it easier for others
>> to contribute as well, for the reasons I mentioned above.
>

> ODFAuthors is just a group of people with a website and a domain name,
> both of which happen to be owned by TDF. It is available to whoever
> wants to use it for producing documentation for OOo/LO/related
> products such as NeoOffice, RedOffice, etc. At present a subset of LO
> language groups are using it (English user guides are on a different
> server and CMS), as are several OOo language groups including English.
>
> Individual members of the ODFAuthors group can join the AOOo project, of course.
>
> --Jean

I forgot to suggest that a quick look at http://odfauthors.org/ might
give a better idea of what we're about. Not all of the site is
currently visible to people who are not logged in, btw. Also, as the
site says, it is for document *development* not delivery. Delivery is
through the wiki or website of the program being documented.

--Jean