incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Targeted Donations?
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:18:29 GMT
Hi Rob,

I think the problem is that ASF doesn't have a policy of "paying" for
development.  Additionally, monies that do come in through the Sponsorships
is *not* earmarked for a specific project.  There are currently no
mechanisms to deal with this.  At ConCom we've
seen the Meetup communities raise money for specific events and ConCom is
working to figure out best to support self-organizing targeted funding for
events...but again this isn't the same as accepting donations for coding.
 If AOOo did this, it would be completely new (and IMHO the Board would have
to agree to it).

There is the added dimension that the larger OOo/LO communities have long
been accepting donation monies earmarked for specific things (such as
SoftwareAG taking money to sponsor travel to OOo-related events).  These
have always completely separate from the "code copyright owner" and might be
useful to divert donation inquiries towards.  Good news is there are
alternative well-established pots of money that donors can be directed to.
 Of course SoftwareAG is only tax-exempt in Germany, as the ASF is only
tax-exempt in the USA...

My $.02
Danese