incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Danese Cooper <dan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bug reporting, handling rules
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:59:09 GMT
So...I'm sitting here at TransferSummit getting a tour of this thread from
the point of view of a European who has been involved in OpenOffice for some
time...and he'd like to point out that what this guy's is doing (using
free.fr) is pretty common amongst French hackers.  The system automatically
appends the referring domain to reply addresses to discourage replies which
it doesn't want to handle.

If infra have an issue with free.fr it should take that up with them.

If we value this guy's contributions aside from his choice of mail service
then we should (gently) guide him to a better place, AFTER welcoming him.
 What we should NOT do is rush to tell him he's 1) rude 2) an asshat or 3)
not welcome.

Nor should we pile on in a way that makes the poor guy feel like he's done
something wrong when all he's doing is trying to participate in the
discussion.  I'm concerned that we're tossing babies out with the bathwater
of "how we like to do things here"...these folks are in learning mode.
 Let's not automatically castigate them. Let's try to understand the content
they bring rather than shooting them for form violations...K?

Danese