incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianluca Turconi <in...@letturefantastiche.com>
Subject Re: ooo-myspell at apache-extras.org
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:41:21 GMT
2011/9/22 Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com>

The case of the italian support is indeed "special",
> and is something I am particularly interested in. The
> linguistico project seems to be particularly political:
> they have this long discourse on how "OpenSource is
> evil, free is good". Maybe the author of the original
> ispell dictionary is more condescending.

I'm the original author of the Italian OOo dictionary and I wouldn't have
any issue in re-licensing the original MySpell dictionary as far as it is
included in a AOOo user-oriented binary release, if and when it will be
released.

However, the Italian dictionary has a 10-years long history of improvement
under LGPL/GPL and several different co-author. The current version is
simply a lot better than the original one whose copyright rights I own.

So, the re-licensing would be, IMO, just a regression. Of course, a less
complete dictionary is always better than nothing, from a user point of
view. ;-)

However, I haven't understood yet (this list is sometimes really
overwhelming), what linguistic tools will be used in AOO:

1) MySpell or Hunspell?
2) for hyphenation?

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: