incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Set up of ooo-dev-ja at incubator.apache.org
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:03:54 GMT
On 12 September 2011 12:52, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> On 12 September 2011 10:27, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 11 September 2011 23:19, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>> What we need to do is, as you say "understand the scope to the types
>> of restrictions that are likely to apply". As a starting point I would
>> say that if a decision on the jp list affects those in other countries
>> (any other country) then that decision needs to be made on the core
>> English language list. Therefore the jp list would bring a proposal
>> here.
>
> <snip>
>
> I'd like to challenge the concept that there are decisions that might
> be made that effect "only" interests in a single country. I don't
> think there is such thing.

If you are talking about decisions that affect the code then I agree.

However, there might be decisions such as "do we have mugs or t-shirts
as a giveaway at the hacker session we are holding at the Japanese
user conference next month" or "is the correct translation of '"Print
to cloud " ... or ..."

There are always exceptions to every rule and we don't need to
slavishly apply every rule to every circumstance. Our goal should be
to ensure that the people taking ownership of "other" lists understand
where the boundaries lie and take responsibility for ensuring those
boundaries are respected.

Ross