incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 21:44:21 GMT
On 5 September 2011 17:52, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 09:34:48 -0700
> "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
>><snip>>
>> Whether to move to deletion or simply expunge immediately might be a choice of the
moderator.  I do not know.

> In general, blatant spam posts, advertising sales sites, are immediately expunged.

This is consistent with ASF mail list moderation practice.

On a mailing list mails that are from non-subscribers will be sent to
a moderation queue. As a moderator I can choose to reject or approve
that mail at any time. After I have done that no other action by a
moderator will have any effect, although a number of moderators will
have a copy of the original mail.

Similarly, if a subscribed mail address posts spam I can (if I'm a
moderator) ban that email address. Common practice is that I would
tell the list that I have banned the address. People can object if
they feel the need.

If I consistently abuse my rights as a moderator my privileges will be
removed (I've never seen that happen, but in theory it could).

I don't see any problems with adopting what seems to be, for all
intents an purposes, the same process on the forums. My only concern
is the visibility into private discussions relating to list policies.
I've expressed this concern and have been told that a solution is
possible.

At this point I am not seeing a problem other than consensus and time.

Ross