incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:43:16 GMT
On 12 September 2011 12:34, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2011, at 10:55, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> We need to manage this carefully. A Japanes language list to ensure
>> non-English speaking people are able to participate in the project is
>> fine. A Japanese language list for creating a different version of OOo
>> for the Japanese market is not fine.
>
> The reality is likely to be somewhere in-between. For example, the PT-BR localisation
of OOo was the subject of extensive discussion in Portuguese about exactly how to translate
various aspects of the UI, none of which would be of great relevance to English-speakers but
which was still development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.

Let me clarify "different version" I meant significantly different,
not just a translation.

I'll respond more fully to Ian's response in this thread.

> Since there will inevitably be unique development discussion in each supported language,
does your direction here mean every localisation needs to be a separate Apache project?

No. I mean to say they can't make decisions that affect core, only
make proposals. Things that do not affect core are fine.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)