incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Set up of ooo-dev-ja at incubator.apache.org
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:42:44 GMT
On 12 September 2011 10:27, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 September 2011 23:19, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>
>> With my mentor hat on I have no objection as long as it is clear that no
>> decisions about the project in general can be made on this list. All
>> decisions must be made here.
>>

> Hi Ross, just to clarify what you mean by project in general. I assume you
> mean things like direction of the code development and intellectual
> property, rather than things like language translations, localisation and
> marketing?

Yes, that is correct.

> So eg they could make a decision to have a marketing conference
> in Japan or to correct say a translation error in a dictionary. In the
> latter case it would still require a committer to commit and have accepted
> the revision submitted to the main project. I'm just trying to understand
> the scope to the types of restrictions that are likely to apply.

There is no fixed rule here. In practice no other ASF project has a
"dev" list in any language other than English as the accepted
guideline is that only English is allowed. Personally I don't think
this is workable in OOo.

What we need to do is, as you say "understand the scope to the types
of restrictions that are likely to apply". As a starting point I would
say that if a decision on the jp list affects those in other countries
(any other country) then that decision needs to be made on the core
English language list. Therefore the jp list would bring a proposal
here.

Naturally this means the jp list needs to be managed by people willing
and able to communicate the jp intentions in English. I propose that
the PPMC will hold those individuals accountable as well as
recognising them for their work.

If a decision affects only the JP community then there is no need to
make a proposal here, but we should expect to be informed of any
important activities.

Of course the JP community will still have to respect things like the
trademark policy of the foundation. These items should therefore also
be handled on the English list (no objection to discussing in Japanese
first and making recommendations to this list).

[ASIDE] PPMC members should note that umbrella projects are not
allowed in the ASF. I'll not go into detail here at this time, I'll do
that soon in another thread. However, I just want to flag that this is
the first step in creating an umbrella project out of OOo. However, at
this point I think it is best to proceed as proposed in this thread, I
suspect this will be the first of many such requirements.