incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:55:43 GMT
The ASF does not like umbrella projects. We used to have them, but
they lead to hierarchical structures that make oversight difficult and
confuse the decision making process.

OOo is such a large project it will almost certainly become an
umbrella project, of sorts. We are already seeing this with the
proposal of a Japanese language dev list.

We need to manage this carefully. A Japanes language list to ensure
non-English speaking people are able to participate in the project is
fine. A Japanese language list for creating a different version of OOo
for the Japanese market is not fine.

If the IPMC (and later the Board) start seeing decision making power
being delegated to sub-communities they will ask the PPMC (and later
the PMC) to break-up the umbrella project. This will require the
sub-projects to be spun out into their own project. We've done this
very successfully on a number of occasions, it is not something to
worry about. I merely want to flag this so that we can manage the
creation of things like the Japanese language list correctly so as to
minimise the work needed in the near future.

I'm not seeing a problem at this point. I'm merely letting the
community know that this could become an issue if we don't keep a
careful eye on it. For me the trigger point will be delegation of
decision making responsibilities.

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

View raw message