incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: How do we want to announce new Committers/PPMC members
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:16:55 GMT
On 29 September 2011 19:03, Rob Weir <> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Ross Gardler
> <> wrote:
>> Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
>> On Sep 29, 2011 6:01 PM, "Rob Weir" <> wrote:
>>> A recent press article suggested that this project had not had any new
>>> committers since the project started.  This is false. But it would be
>>> hard to tell that, looking at our mailing list or website.
>>> So far we've been quiet about new committers.  We have the votes,
>>> process the paper work, etc., on the ooo-private list.
>>> Some Apache projects announce each new committer to their main mailing
>>> list.  Others don't.   We're received mixed advice from our mentors.
>> Really? I've not seen anyone say don't announce committers. The ASF is all
>> about merit, why would one not give credit where credit is due?
> Check your archives for ooo-private, July 8th.

[ooo-dev readers should note that this thread occured on ooo-private
at a time when mentors were still having to say "this should not be on
the private list", in fact I say it myself in the above thread. The
topic is do we announce new committers, no decision was made and Rob
has now done a great job of bringing it to the public list for a

OK, so in that thread one mentor said their project does not do public
welcome messages for new committers.

My own contribution to that thread was:

See "Committer Announce Template" at for a suggested

If you do a search of Apache mailing lists in general you will find
that the majoirty do (I was unaware that even a single project does
not, but the ASF is a big place).

I do agree with the word of caution in that thread, which you capture
well in your opening mail (i.e. it's a welcome not a congratulations).

View raw message