incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:05:37 GMT
On 12 September 2011 13:41, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well binaries do not require votes, they
> are considered a "courtesy service" of the
> project.

For clarity:

An *official* release requires a vote. A binary snapshot release (for
example) does not.

Usually an official release (which is a source release) is accompanied
by a binary release that is a courtesy as Joe says.

I think what Joe means here (apologies if I am misrepresenting you
Joe) is that if, for example, Apache OO.o 3.4 were released today then
a native language *binary* release based on that code could be made
tomorrow without a vote.

The question then is how much control over native language versions
does the PPMC want and at what point is the native language version no
longer considered to be a version of Apache OO.o but instead it is a
downstream modification of Apache OO.o.

It's for the PPMC to decide that.

> In any case there is sufficient
> precedent which disagrees with Ross's opinion
> that all PPMC votes must take place here that
> his position could be reasonably contested
> should a valid need arise.

I think my position has been morphed by this thread. My comments are
not *only* about native language sub-groups, I merely used a native
language group as the example.

I am *not* saying that native language releases are a problem.

I am *not* saying that native language projects are *automatically*
sub-projects that might lead to OO.o being an umbrella of the kind the
ASF does not like.

What I *am* saying is that we need to be aware of how much autonomy
sub-lists have. Those sub-lists may, or may not be, about native
language versions. My mail is, as Simon says an attempt to sound "a
wake-up call that we need to put a lot more thought into how the
project will approach [semi-auomonous groups]"

[Finally, for the record, I disagree that project decisions (requiring
a vote) can be taken anywhere but here.]

Ross

>>________________________________

localisation of OOo was the subject of extensive discussion in Portuguese about exactly how
to translate various aspects of the UI, none of which would be of great relevance to English-speakers
but which was still development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.

>>> Let me clarify "different version" I meant significantly different,
>>> not just a translation.
>>
>>You say "just a translation" but the debate on the PT-BR version led to two competing
releases for a time, with an impact on the community there which lingers to this day. Localisation
of a consumer application is never "just a translation" as might happen to the strings in
a server project; substantial end-user decisions are debated, negotiated and agreed by thoughtful
developers.

>>/The/ key reason for the success of OpenOffice.org is that there exists a large, global
community of groups of localisers who each act in autonomy or semi-autonomy to create the
release for each locale. Your message is a wake-up call that we need to put a lot more thought
into how the project will approach them, especially if they will need to be separate projects
in order to retain their locale-specific autonomy.

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)