incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:44:53 GMT
On 12 September 2011 11:50, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 September 2011 10:55, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

>> I'm not seeing a problem at this point. I'm merely letting the
>> community know that this could become an issue if we don't keep a
>> careful eye on it. For me the trigger point will be delegation of
>> decision making responsibilities.
>>

> Let me set up an "Aunt Sally" (target for criticism) as to how this might
> work. The NL list/forum/comms technology allows discussion and quicker
> decision making in the native language. If the outcomes of those decisions
> affect code to be released or the associated IP, they then go to the Apache
> list in English as a proposal or if it's a code patch a Committer commits it
> in the usual way. In this way there is never any problem with a separate
> project developing, it is not really different from me having an off-list
> chat with some like-minded people about the project and then deciding to put
> a proposal forward as a result.

Agreed.

> The key issues I see as needing an answer
> from a practical point of view are:
>
> If there is to be a NL build of the AOO product to be
> released, presumably that build will take place at Apache? Or could it take
> place elsewhere but only be formally released by Apache?

It depends on what you mean by "takes place". Anyone can build
anything they want, wherever they want. However a formal release of an
Apache project must receive 3 binding +1's. The vote to get those
votes *must* be carried out here on the official dev list (this one).

If the release is a downstream product that uses the Apache code but
is not an official OOo release (e.g. FooBar Office Suite, built on
Apache OpenOffice.org) then this can happen anywhere in any way you so
choose (as long as our trademarks and license are respected).

> Where will an extra-Apache community infrastructure reside?

The first point of call would be right here at apache.org. I'm not
intending to say that these sub-projects cannot be here, in many
(most?) cases they should be. What I'm saying is that the PPMC (and
later IPMC) cannot delegate decision making responsibility on the core
product to a sub-project.

If more autonomy is required then a separate project needs to be
created. So, for example, if someone wanted to create a web based
version of OO.o this would be replacing significant parts of the UI
code, in addition to touching significant parts of the core. In this
case we would probably want to think about a separate project that
pushed core changes upstream but maintained it's own code for UI.

So the question then becomes where would this project reside? The
answer is "anywhere it wants to". It could be here at apache.org, it
could be on http://apache-extras.org or it could be on any other third
party hosting service.

So what is this apache-extras.org? See