incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Role of ASF board (was Re: [Discuss] Lost in translation)
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:56:02 GMT
On Monday, 5 September 2011, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> Le 5 sept. 11 à 07:32, Jean Weber a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 15:19, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:

>> Eric,
>> Apache has a Board of Directors, too.
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/ <http://www.apache.org/foundation/>
>>

> Thanks a lot for the information, I completely missed :/
>

>> That is a legal requirement for a Foundation.
>

> This is a very bad news for me (personal statement)

It need not be. It depends what powers the board has. I don't know about
other places but here at the ASF the board delegates eveything to it's PMCs.

The only time a board member gets involved with a project is if a) they are
acting as an individual (where they must earn project merit like everyone
else) b) the community asks them to in order to help resolve a community
issue.

The board has no say in the technical direction of the project.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)