incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Dissatisfaction amongst the community admins, moderators and volunteers
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 07:55:06 GMT
On Monday, 5 September 2011, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk> wrote:
> On 04/09/11 23:22, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> One specific technical point:  the content of no forums or posts is
>>> immutable.  Originators and moderators can change their content or even
>>> withdraw it by deleting the post.  We do this regularly with spam.  No
forum
>>> models that I am familiar with embeds versioning.
>>
>> One of the reasons for allowing Member level access to PMC lists is to
>> ensure that there is some way to escalate a dispute to an independent
>> third party. This happens very rarely, but when it does it really is
>> not fun for the people involved, as you can imagine.
>>
>> One other reason (which fortunately is even rarer) is that we
>> sometimes need to provide materials as part of some court case or
>> other. IN these circumstances lawyers spend a long time ensuring that
>> no unnecessary information is shared and that private information is
>> provided with the appropriate confidences.
>>
>> Requiring those people to trawl logs to ensure no edits have been made
>> in private discussions is adding unnecessary work that, I hope, can be
>> avoided.
>>
>> Would it be possible/make sense to provide a read-only archive of the
>> private forums in the private PMC list? I'm not saying discussion
>> should necessarily move to that list (although I think this should be
>> the end goal, but lets take baby steps and keep options open). This
>> approach would have the added benefit of providing PPMC oversight on
>> the private discussions.
>>
>> I'm not concerned about edits in public posts, particularly with the
>> existing practice of marking such posts as edited.
>>
>> Ross
>
> Yes it is technically possible to do this Ross.  The short term constraint
is a matter of scheduling resource to this.

Thanks.

I'm not concerned about timing. The project is in Incubation. Nothing needs
to happen immediately. Just in good time.

I'll leave it to the community to decide the final action. This solution
would satisfy me as a mentor. I have some concerns over Joes suggestion
because of the ability to change the archives, other mentors may not have
the same concern. Consider this a suggestion.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)