incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Umbrella projects
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:46:42 GMT
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:

> Hi Simon,

> PT-BR localisation of OOo was the subject of extensive discussion in
> Portuguese about exactly how to translate various aspects of the UI, none of
> which would be of great relevance to English-speakers but which was still
> development discussion. The same would be likely to apply to every locale.
> > >>

> > > Let me clarify "different version" I meant significantly different,
> > > not just a translation.
> >
> > You say "just a translation" but the debate on the PT-BR version led to
> two competing releases for a time, with an impact on the community there
> which lingers to this day. Localisation of a consumer application is never
> "just a translation" as might happen to the strings in a server project;
> substantial end-user decisions are debated, negotiated and agreed by
> thoughtful developers.
>
> Actually the pt-BR case is different from other "just" localized
> releases in that due to a trademark dispute ("Open Office" was a 3rd
> party trademark in Brazil) they couldn't even name it OpenOffice.org.
> BrOffice.org was the result (today it's BrOffice using LibreOffice), and
> (admittedly severe if you know the story) translation issues added to
> that. BrOffice(.org) is a very strong brand and community, probably the
> largest and most influential OOo/LibO community in the world.
>
> See "The Saga of BrOffice.org" in
>
> http://wiki.broffice.org/attachment/wiki/revista/ingles/RB-ED001-EN.pdf?format=raw
>
> Also interesting read (not related to BrOffice) "Brazil and Open Source"
> http://www.charlesleadbeater.net/cms/xstandard/Brazil_Open_Source.pdf

as far as i know that is not longer valid and OpenOffice.org as name could
be used there as well. But we should ask Andrew Rist about details

@Andrew, can you provide more information about this and is it possible to
share it here on the list?

But nevertheless i would agree that BrOffice is a strong brand in Brazil
with a huge and active community behind it.

Juergen